Quick and easy bread crumbs
Ran out of bread crumbs when making a recipe? Got a few slices of bread lying around? Lets get down to Homemade bread crumbs. Bread crumbs are widely used to add to the texture and crisp to cutlets, nuggets, sausages, and all sorts of breaded foods. They also lend a helping hand when you are looking to remove sogginess from foods to be fried.
Making bread crumbs is a breeze and will be ready in no time. I do this whenever I have left over stale store bought bread slices. Homemade wheat loafs, which do not stand up to my expectation and fail me, are simply crushed to make bread crumbs 😀 . And because you are frying it, it’l keep for a long time without getting spoilt.
Over to the recipe…
Homemade bread crumbs
- 5 slices bread
- Tear the bread slices into smaller pieces, so as to fit in your mixer jar. Grind it till it becomes a coarse powder. I used my small chutney jar for this.
- Transfer the bread powder to a pan and fry on low to medium flame without burning, till all the moisture evaporates and the whole thing becomes dry. This will take around 5 minutes.
- Cool down completely and store in air tight containers. Thats it. Why bother buying bread crumbs when you can make it yourself so easily.
- Do not grind the crumbs continuously, as it can clump up. Give it a few seconds break between each round of grinding. You can opt to make it coarse, fine or even with some bits here and there.
- Take care that you do not burn the crumbs while frying.
- If you are making for a large quantity, fry little by little as fits your frying pan. Frying all at once may not make it completely dry, which may lead to mould formation when you store.