Coleslaw or simply slaw is a very simple and colorful salad made mainly from shredded cabbages. Every country has its own coleslaw, but cabbage seems to be widely prevalent. I make mine with finely shredded cabbage, grated carrots and coriander leaves with the basic vinaigrette. Mayo can also be used in place of the vinaigrette.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable belonging to the brassica family. Raw cabbages are well known for their detoxing properties and they cleanse the liver in particular. Apart from that they contain good amounts of vitamins C and K , and a host of valuble minerals. It has high levels of polyphenols, which help in fighting diseases. So coleslaw is a very good way of consuming cabbages.
Over to the recipe.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot
- a handful of corriander leaves
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and clean the vegetables well. Shred the cabbages and the carrots into thin juliennes
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Mix well and serve.
- Always add the salt and lemon juice just before serving. Else the cabbage loses its crunch and becomes soft.
- You can always adjust the spices as per individual preference.