Chicken 65 is a very popular non-veg starter in India which originated in Chennai. It is generally a dry preparation made with boneless chicken. In the restaurants it is served very hot and spicy, with lemon wedges to reduce and green chillies to enhance the spiciness 🙂 .
There are a lot of stories afloat regarding the origin of the name of the preparation. But for me, the one that it was introduced in 1965 at the Buhari Hotel, Chennai by its founder A.M.Buhari seems credible.
The fact that its deep fried and lots of red color is used for adding appeal always holds me back from ordering this at the restaurant. Though once in a way we yield in to kids’ demand.
So this recipe is my take on the deep fried version and the red hue. I have used my air fryer for this. It tasted as good as deep fried, and was finished off by kids in a jiffy. But after marination you can opt to deep fry or shallow fry too, if you do not have an air fryer.
So here goes…
- 250 g Chicken fillet
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2-2 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder/Regular red chilly powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- a pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Rice powder
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3-6 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Chopped coriander leaves
- 1½ tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- Few curry leaves
- Whole green chillies (as needed)
- a pinch Turmeric powder
- Clean the chicken thoroughly and marinate with all the ingredients listed under marination for atleast half an hour.
- Brush the wired base of the airfryer basket with oil. Spread the chicken pieces in the basket and set the temperature to 180°C.
- Let the chicken cook for 6 minutes. After 3 minutes, shake the airfryer basket or move the chicken pieces, using a blunt knife or spoon.This releases the chicken pieces from the base.
- If you do not have an air fryer, go ahead and deep fry or shallow fry the chicken pieces.Alternately, you can even roast them with a little oil in a skillet.
- After 6 minutes, transfer the chicken from the air fryer to a plate.
- Next take a skillet and add oil to it. Once it gets heated up add the tempering items one by one. Fry for a second and add the cooked chicken fillets to it. Saute so that the chicken pieces are fully coated with the tempering.
- Sprinkle a handful of water, if it seems to dry out before coating the chicken pieces.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with lemon wedges and onion rings
- The addition of spices is purely based on preference. You can increase or decrease the chilly powder as per need.
- Do a taste test of the fillets, once they are fried. The spices in the tempering can be adjusted depending on this.
- I prefer to add apple cider vinegar for tempering, coz somehow I always feel that lemon juice turns bitter most of the time while tempering. You can go ahead an add lemon juice if you do not have any such issues.
- Do not omit the tempering, as it gives that final red color and a very nice flavour to the preparation. If you don’t want too much heat in your chicken you can opt to decrease the chilly powder in marination, and increase it while tempering, as per need.
- Also if you are using regular red chilly powder decrease to ½ or ¾ tsp in the marination, else it will become very spicy.
You may also like